Tuesday, September 1, 2009

First Impressions

So I have been in Egypt now for about five days. I have been with my host family for about three. Everything has been great so far. The people are very very nice and everything is just so interesting. My host mother has taken me out in the city twice and my host brother took me once. The streets are very hectic. There are people and cars going everywhere. Lots and lots of honking. We walked down the street stopping in a few stores. We had to cross the street which is adventure all in its own. See, the cars go fast when they can and fill in any space that is there. This makes it quite chaotic. you cross one lane at a time and usually there are atleast three or four lanes to cross. the first night when my host mother took me out, she baought me sugar cane juice from a street vender, It was milky and very sweet. Each time we go out in the street I feel nervous. All the people and loud noises is very different from what I am used to. Having my host mother or host brother there with me helps a whole lot. tonight My host mother met a friend and her daughter that is my age. We took two microbuses to meet them. That was interesting. They are like vans and cram as many people into them as possible. While we were sitting at a center for these buses, it was neat to see how the peole would race to get in one. Tonight we went to an older part of cairo. We were going to a concert. It was fun. We walked down several streets and through several markets on the way. All the sights and sounds keep me entertained. The music was good, and even if I do not understand what they are saying I thought it sounded beautiful, It is the same way with the prayer calls. I have grown to love hearing them. They are wonderful to hear. The food is also great here. It has a very distinct taste, and my host mother keeps me feeling very full. haha. Well things are well.

No comments:

Post a Comment