Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Felucca on the Nile



In the short time I have been in this beautiful country, I have been lucky enough to take two boat rides on the Nile. Each experience was quite different, but both were equally enjoyable. The first one I went on was with my host mother and host brother. We were meeting her best friend for the ride. After taking a a taxi down to the Nile area from Haram, we waited a while until her friend arrived. It was not only her friend, but her friend's daughter and about 20 of her friends. The boat was a small, motor powered, flat boat. We all got on, and waited for the last of the people to arrive. We were then on our way.Because of Ramadan, we waited until the sun went down, and the prayer call was heard, and then we all began eating and drinking. I was told that this one of the fun ways that they like to break their fast and to enjoy the company of their friends. We ate and then sat and talked. There was also music playing on the boat, so the mood was quite festive. The men danced on the boat, and I was offered countless things to drink and sweets. It is the hospitality of the Egyptians to offer a guest food and drink constantly. We rode for about two hours up and down the Nile. It was a fun night. The next night I went on a boat was only a few short days later. We again were going at sunset to break fast on the boat. I went with my host father. We met one of his friends and probably 10 other people. This boat was smaller and more of a sailboat. It was quiet, calm, and much more peaceful. I enjoyed just sitting back and watching the moon (you can't see any stars in the city). We also rode for about two hours. It was very nice. After each of the rides we would go somewhere else, either a cafe or a park, and sit and enjoy one another into late in the night. Boats, sunsets, and the Nile are memories that will last a lifetime.

No comments:

Post a Comment