Thursday, November 26, 2009

Giving Thanks

This thanksgiving I have so many things to be thankful for. First, I am thankful for my mom and dad for preparing me to go on this journey. They have both taught me so much and I appreciate them very much. I am also very grateful that they had the courage to let me come to Egypt. I am also thankful for Rose, Will, and Elizabeth. They are always there to support me through everything I do, and I love them very much. I also appreciate the constant support of all of my friends back home. They are always giving me encouragement.I appreciate my teachers back home and the support and help they have been giving me. This experience has made me appreciate so many things. I am thankful for my host families. I have been in three families. Each of them opened their home to me, and treated me as a a part of their family. Two of the families only knew I was coming with a few days notice, but they still welcomed me just as warmly. I am just so grateful to be with such caring and loving people. The care and assistance I have been given is remarkable. One time when I was sick, my host mother checked my fever every two hours all night long. While at the time, this act was quite annoying to me, I know see how much she cared for me. She had only known me for two weeks, but she was willing to come all through the night checking my fever, rubbing my head, and giving me 7 up. I am just so thankful for these people. The generosity and hospitality I have been shown is another thing I am so grateful for. The people in Egypt amaze me each and everyday by the sincerity of their kindness. The question "do you need anything?" is constantly heard by my ears, and I appreciate those saying it. I am thankful for my arabic teacher, and him inspiring me to want to learn arabic. When I first came, I did not really care about how much arabic I learned, but now I truly want to learn it. One of the main things I am grateful for this thanksgiving are the friends I have made in Egypt. These friends have become like family. We have been there for each other through the ups and downs, and we care so much for one another. It amazes us to see how close of friends we became so quickly. They helped make my transition to Egypt so much easier, and I know they are there for me if I ever need anything. I even have such a greater appreciation for the world and the people in it. It was something I always knew, but experiencing it gives it so much more meaning. I have learned so much from people and experiences already. It inspires me to want to travel to more to learn from other people and other cultures. There is just so much to be thankful for. Having this opportunity makes me so thankful plus all of the things it has shown me to be thankful for.

4 comments:

  1. awww i love you hannah and I am so thankful for having such a wonderful, smart, beautiful sister.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hannah,
    Thank you for allowing me to be a part of this experience with you! I cannot explain just how much I have enjoyed reading these posts. I really look forward to talking with you face to face in Feb. Keep learning and having a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just figured out how to do this again. This one I read on Thanksgiving night with Mima- very good way to end the day. It was interesting since at Nana's we went around the table and said what we were appreciative of also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Hannah,
    GREAT Writing ! and just imagine how much more World there is out there to discover and taste and hear and smell, and touch
    and maybe write about.
    So a good next step is head to your own hemisphere--- say Central America and go check out Honduras at Camille's house. Spanish is closely related to Arabic you know.

    Congrats
    Susanna Bowman

    ReplyDelete