Sunday, November 8, 2009

مدرسه في مصر

School started in Egypt on October 4th which was around five weeks ago. School was delayed because of Ramadan and Swine Flu concerns. I am going to school at Misr Language School. It is located in Haram near to the pyramids. There are two other exchange students from my program at my school, so it wasn't too difficvult of a transition.
Each morning I wake up at 6:25. I make my breakfast which usually consists of a grilled cheese and get dressed. We wear uniforms, so I always know what I am going to put on. I have to wear navy blue pants, and because I am a senior I wear a pink polo shirt. I leave the apartment at 6:50 and walk to my bus stop. My bus usually comes around 6:55. It is more of a large van. There are around 8 other kids on my bus ranging from 1st grade up. It is around a thirty minute ride to school from Mohandiseen to school. Of course, traffic is always the determinant in that. I enjoy my ride to school because we pass over a very interesting area in Cairo. Our bus goes on this road that overpasses great big green fields filled with various crops all bordered by many apartment buildings. Many of these apartments are only half built, but completly lived in. The fields remind me of how I would picture ancient Cairo. Still today, the work is hand done with only the assistance of donkeys. Also, on the way to school I judge the smog level by noticing how soon I can see the pyramids. On a good day, I can see them as soon as we get to the overpass while on other days I dont see them until midday at school.
We arrive at school at around 7:20. I walk to the american division building of our school. Our scool has five divisions: the natioanl, french, special needs, british and american. Our building has the american and british grades kg through 12. I sit on a bench and wait until morning lines. Usually a few friends come up and we talk until it is time to line up. Morning lines is at 7:45. The Koran is read for around five minutes while we all stand. Then we chant something in arabic that translates to I am proud to live in Egypt. We stand in line based on grade and gender. After, we walk up to the 4th floor to begin our classes.
I am taking English language, English Literature, Art, Physics, Calculus, and Computer. The schedule is different every day, and you dont always have each of your classes each day. There are only 10 people in the 12th grade including 3 exchange students. The grade is so small because the Egyptian system had a time where there was a 6th grade and then there wasn't. The classes last around 40 minutes long. Teachers change classroom instead of the students. It is a new thing for this school because they are making precautions for swine flu. I thought I wouldnt like that, but I have gotten used to it. It is actually quite convenient. I do have to go to a different class for physics, art, and computer though. Classes are much more relaxed here than I am used to. I think it is an American System thing though. The main focus for student in this system is mainly to do well on the SAT. For students in the National System, there is a large focus on exams that they must take at the end of their last two years in high school. These exams determine which faculty of college you can go to based on the grade you make on the test. Because of this, many people focus simply on these tests and have private tutors in many subjects. For example, my host sister, who is in her last year of high school has probably 8 private lessons a week in multiple subjects. She however doesn't go to school much because she doesn't gain any benefit from being there.
The first few weeks I was very frustrated with the manner that my classmates behaved. it was shocking to see how they disrespected the teachers and the level of apathy that they had toward their schoolwork. After around two weeks, the students started acted better and I became more used to their behavior. Now, we have become friends for the most part. They are all nice to me and we talk some. I have met up with one of them outside of school on multiple occasions. They all just like to have a good time and have fun.
Because I have several free periods each day, I spend that time volunteering with the elementary students at my school. Each day I try and go to the fourth and fifth grade break. We play red rover, sharks and minnows, freeze tag, and steal the bacon. Mostly we play with the girls because most of the boys play soccer during the break. Also, I help in various classes. Mostly I go to the first grade class and help them with whatever they are working on. Also, I help with guided reading for second and third grade. At the end of the day I usually walk a group of kindergardeners to their bus. Helping the kids is my favorite part of school. i actually feel like I am getting something done and I really enjoy it.
Our school is different from most school in that it has clubs and sports. Wednesday is club day. We signed up for a club at the beginning of the year and we go to it for an hour before break each wednesday. I am in the pottery club. There are around ten kids in our club. There is a wheel that you push with your foot to make the clay go around. A man also helps us alot with it. I went the first day and made a litte pot, but because there is only one wheel, I haven't gone again. It is still enjoyable. Sports day is on Monday. It is for an hour at the end of the day. I am in Tennis. We do a few drills and then play a few games.
The school day ends at 3 each day. I get on my bus and we usually make it home by 3:50. On Sundays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays, I have arabic at 4:30. So, I walk home, and eat lunch really quick. Lunch is the biggest meal of the day. I have to leave the house by 4:10 to try and catch a taxi and make it to Zameleck on time. Usually there is alot of traffic, so I barely make it, but it is ok. I really enjoy learning arabic and seeing my friends at the arabic lesson. On the days I don't have arabic, I still come home and eat right away because I have a fitness lesson at 5 at the club with my host sister. My weeks are very busy , but fun filled.
My school is on quarters, so starting next week we have quarter exams. There are rumors that school is going to be canceled after the Thanksgiving/Eid holiday because of Swine flu concerns. It would be canceled throughout December and January. The school, however has some back up plans in case that is to happen. School in Egypt has been quite an experience because it has allowed me to relly see the views and priorities of the Egyptian People.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Hannah. I'm Marty McEwen and I work at Marshville Elementary. My second grade class is studying Egpyt as part of a county wide globilization project. We are reading your blog and we have a lot of questions we would like to email you. Let me know if that is OK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, yes that is perfectly fine. I would be happy to answer any of your questions. I would also be willing to do a presentation for your class when I return. My email is: hannahmpotter@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete